The Building & Inspectional Services Division, a part of the Community Development Department, is responsible for administering the building codes adopted by the City of Joliet. The City currently utilizes the following codes*:
- Current Illinois State Plumbing Code
- International Building Code (2015)
- International Residential Code (2015)
- International Fire Prevention Code (2015)
- International Mechanical Code (2015)
- International Fuel Gas Code (2015)
- International Energy Code (2018)
- National Electric Code (2014 Edition)
- Consolidated Storm Water Management, Soil Erosion And Sediment Control And Floodplain Management Regulations (2003)
*As of September 10, 2018, the City will be enforcing the IBC 2015 codes listed above.
**Notice of fee amendments effective January 1, 2020**
The City of Joliet Council, at its December 3, 2019 council meeting, passed an ordinance amending certain Community Development fees. A list has been created identifying the type of fee and the new fee that will be applied effective January 1, 2020.
Driveway and/or Apron Permit $65.00*
Patio and Sidewalk $65.00*
Above Ground Pool Permit $65.00*
Ground sign (including pole sign) $150.00
Roof sign $150.00
Wall sign $150.00
Projecting sign $150.00
Monument sign $150.00
*Minimum permit fee is $65.00 with a project cost up to $7,000.00. For permits above $7,000.00, the fees will be calculated at $10.00 for every $1,000.00 of construction value.
*Planning fee changes document available at following link:
If a contractor is performing the work, then the contractor must be the one to pull the permit (per Sec. 8-36 of the City of Joliet Code of Ordinances).
Building & Inspectional Services Division
Don Pallissard, Building Services Director
150 W. Jefferson Street, Joliet, IL 60432
First Floor, South Wing
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday*
*Building permits issued 8:00a.m. to 4:00p.m., Monday - Friday
Fax: (815) 724-4080