How to Apply for a Permit for a Drive-In Facility
The City of Joliet requires a permit for any drive-in facility (existing or new) for banks, restaurants, retail liquor establishments, food stores, car washes, gasoline stations, currency exchanges, and cleaning establishments. Before a building permit shall be issued for the construction of any drive-in facility (existing or new) by the Inspectional Services Division, the Public Works Department must investigate certain factors, which must be provided to the Department on a site plan. The following steps must be followed to obtain a permit:
- Applicant submits a site plan to the Public Works Department for review, concerning the following factors:
- Right-of-way encroachment;
- Existing and proposed driveway locations;
- Existing and proposed driveway design;
- Sight distance;
- Use of curbs;
- Signs, existing and proposed; and,
- Peak traffic periods.
- Staff prepares report and recommendation to City Council.
- City Council acts on recommendation.
- If approved, building permit is issued.
Estimated time from receipt of application to City Council Action: 14-30 days.