COVID-19 Update and the City of Joliet - For more info visit: Coronavirus Resources/ Actualizacion de COVID-19 y La Ciudad de Joliet - Para más información visite: Coronavirus Resources

Moving a Building

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

How to Apply for a Permit to Move a Building

The City of Joliet requires a permit for the relocation of any building from one site to another within the City of Joliet. In order to obtain a permit from the Inspectional Services Division, the moving contractor should follow these steps:

  1. Applicant checks requirements for moving a building, as well as all zoning requirements of the intended site, with building Inspector and/or Planning Division, and picks up an application.

  2. Applicant obtains written consent of majority of property owners fronting on both sides of the street in the block in which the building is to be relocated. This must be filed with the completed application.

  3. Applicant checks with the Public Works & Utilities Department, Police Department, and Fire Department in choosing a route and a time to begin the move. Applicant obtains approval from the Illinois State Highway Department, if routing of move will include any State highway. 

  4. Applicant checks with Commonwealth Edison and Illinois Bell Telephone to secure clearances for their lines.

  5. Applicant checks with Director of Public Works & Utilities Department to determine the necessity and/or method of disconnection from City water and sewer lines.

  6. Applicant submits application together with the required bond, Certificate of Insurance and fees to Building Inspector.

  7. If permit is granted, applicant proceeds with moving as arranged.