No Permits Will Be Issued In An Easement.
These examples below are meant as general guidelines and are subject to final approval by staff.
What you need:
- Plat of Survey (for new, replacement, and additions)
- Structural Drawings
- Cost Estimate
- HOA approval (see HOA list here)
Cost of Permit: Minimum permit fee is $65.00 with a project cost up to $7,000.00. An additional $10.00 per $1,000.00 project cost above $7,000.00 to be added
A permit is required prior to construction of any deck. Certain subdivisions have covenants that are more restrictive than the City ordinances. The homeowner is responsible for obtaining HOA approval. For HOAs on this list, bring a copy of the approval when applying for the permit.
Whenever a project requires digging please contact JULIE, in advance, at 800-892-0123 or online at http://illinois1call.com to mark underground utility lines.
- Deck should be located out of Public Utility Easements.
- When a deck has a roof structure over it, the deck must meet the same setback requirements of a house structure, as well as meeting the lot coverage limit of 30%.
- All structures (excluding driveways, sidewalks, pools, unroofed decks/patios & fences) on a lot must cover no more than 30% of the total lot area.
- Corner Lots: No building in the 20 Ft. Side Yard Corner Lot Setback.
Note: At two intersecting streets, alleys, and driveways, there are additional requirements that must be met to protect the visibility of automotive traffic, cyclists, and pedestrians.
Joliet City Hall is located at:
150 W. Jefferson St.
Joliet, Il 60432