No Permits Will Be Issued In An Easement.
These examples below are meant as general guidelines and are subject to final approval by staff.
What you need:
- Plat of Survey (for new, replacement, or additions)
- Cost Estimate
- Plan detailing installation such as slab thickness, fill depth and type of surface material.
- HOA approval (see HOA list here)
Cost of Permit: $50.00 (for up to $8,000)
A permit is required prior to construction of any patio. Certain subdivisions have covenants that are more restrictive than the City ordinances. The homeowner is responsible for obtaining HOA approval. For HOAs on this list, bring a copy of the approval when applying for the permit.
Whenever a project requires digging please contact JULIE, in advance, at 800-892-0123 or online at http://illinois1call.com to mark underground utility lines.
- A patio is not allowed in any public utility or drainage easement.
- Patios can be placed 3 ft. from property lines, provided that there is no roof structure over the patio.
- When a patio has a roof structure over it, the patio must meet the same setback requirements of a house or accessory structure, as well as meeting the lot coverage limit of 30%.
- Corner Lots: No patios are allowed beyond the 20 ft. side yard corner lot setback.
- All structures (excluding driveways, sidewalks, pools, unroofed decks/patios, & fences) on a lot must cover no more than 30% of the total lot area.
Note: At two intersecting streets, alleys, and driveways, there are additional requirements that must be met to protect the visibility of automotive traffic, cyclists, and pedestrians.
Joliet City Hall is located at:
150 W. Jefferson St.
Joliet, Il 60432