No Permits Will Be Issued In An Easement.
These examples below are meant as general guidelines and are subject to final approval by staff.
What you need:
- Plat of Survey (for new, replacement, and additions)
- Structural Drawings or Brochure
- Cost Estimate
- HOA approval (see HOA list here)
Cost of Permit: Minimum permit fee is $65.00 with a project cost up to $7,000.00. An additional $10.00 per $1,000.00 project cost above $7,000.00 to be added.
A permit is required prior to construction of any shed. Certain subdivisions have covenants that are more restrictive than the City ordinances. The homeowner is responsible for obtaining HOA approval. ForHOAs on this list, bring a copy of the approval when applying for the permit.
Whenever a project requires digging please contact JULIE, in advance, at 800-892-0123 or online at http://illinois1call.com to mark underground utility lines.
- Sheds are strictly prohibited in front yards.
- Sheds can be placed a minimum of 3 ft. from the side and rear property lines, provided that there are no easements.
- Sheds should be placed at a minimum of 6 ft. from the house.
- If the shed is located less than 6 ft. from the house, the shed must be code compliant (Contact Building Inspector).
- All structures (excluding driveways, sidewalks, pools, decks/patios, & fences) on a lot must cover no more than 30% of the total lot area.
- Sheds can be no taller than 15 ft. high.
- Sheds are required to be anchored to a concrete slab, deck, wood footing, or earth at a minimum of 4 points at wall corners, or more if necessary.
- Assessor's Shed Statement: Sheds greater than 120 sq. ft. must meet building code for a garage (e.g. must be built on a concrete slab, etc.).
- Application For Building [PDF] (If Applicable)
- Residential Accessory Structures Review Form [PDF] (Required)
- Plumbing [PDF] (If Applicable)
- Heating, Cooling, Refrigeration & Ventilation Systems [PDF] (If Applicable)
- Electrical [PDF] (If Applicable)
Note: At two intersecting streets, alleys, and driveways, there are additional requirements that must be met to protect the visibility of automotive traffic, cyclists, riders, and pedestrians.
Joliet City Hall is located at:
150 W. Jefferson St.
Joliet, Il 60432