COVID-19 Update and the City of Joliet - For more info visit: Coronavirus Resources/ Actualizacion de COVID-19 y La Ciudad de Joliet - Para más información visite: Coronavirus Resources

Home Occupations

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

According to Section 47-5.3 (c) of the City of Joliet Zoning Ordinance, Home Occupations are allowed as a permitted accessory use as long as the following conditions are met:

(1) The home occupation is operated entirely within the principal dwelling and only by the person or persons maintaining a residence therein; and

(2) The home occupation does not have a separate entrance from outside the building; and

(3) The building is not altered in such a way that any portion thereof is no longer suitable for residential use; and

(4) The home occupation is limited to no more than twenty-five percent 25% of the total floor area on any one level; and

(5) The home occupation does not utilize equipment except that which is customarily found in residential dwellings; and

(6) There is no external evidence of the home occupation, (including, but not limited to, commercial vehicles and outdoor storage) except for one (1) non-animated, non-illuminated wall sign having an area of not more than one (1) square foot.

Example Home Occupations

  • Home office
  • Small catering business

Allowable with approved Variation of Use
  • Daycare (more than seven children)
  • Hair salon
  • Kennels (more than 2 dogs)
Not Allowed
  • Construction/ landscaping businesses (with commercial vehicles, equipment & outside storage)
  • Retail sales business
  • Junk peddlers
  • Restaurant/ outside food sales
  • Automobile repair
  • Medical office

Important Contacts

Small Business Administration
Joliet Junior College - Small Business Development
(815) 280-1400

Assumed Business Name Certificate
Will County Clerk's Office - (815) 740-4660

Kendall County Clerk's Office - (630) 553-4104

IRS Starting a Business Kit
(Tax ID Forms) - (800) 356-6302

Get a Tax ID#
Illinois Department of Revenue, Central Registration Area
Springfield, Illinois
(217) 785-3707
(800) 732-8866
(Takes 4 to 6 weeks)

Business that are incorporated or a corporation should file with the Illinois Secretary of State at (217) 782-7880 or

If you have any questions about home occupations please contact the Planning Division at (815) 724-4055. If you have any questions about Business License Applications please contact Business Services