How to Petition the City for Annexation
In order to receive the benefit of City of Joliet services, including sewer and water service, police and fire protection, and other services, a property must be situated within Joliet's corporate limits. Any property which is in unincorporated Will County and contiguous to Joliet's corporate limits may be annexed to the City upon application to the City and approval by City Council. Any property which meets these requirements may be annexed to the City by having the owner or his authorized agent follow this procedure:
- Applicant meets with a staff member from the Planning Division to discuss requirements for annexation.
- Applicant meets with a staff member from the Public Works & Utilities Department to ascertain availability of utilities.
- Applicant files a petition for annexation complete with legal description, signature of all owners, name and addresses of all owners within 300 feet of subject property, and filing fees, at least 27 days prior to the Plan Commission meeting. A plat of annexation will be required prior to City Council review. Download Petition [PDF]
- Applicant must submit a recent tax bill and required fire and library detachment fees at time of application filing. The detachment fees are calculated at the rate of 300% of the annual tax paid to the fire and library district.
- Staff reviews application at Community Design Review Board meeting.
- Plan Commission holds a public hearing and recommends action of City Council. Applicant or authorized agent must appear at the Plan Commission meeting to affirm the petition and answer any questions.
- City Council acts upon recommendation of Plan Commission.
- City records ordinance approving annexation along with plat of annexation received from applicant.
- Sewer and water connection fee is payable to the City Collector at time of building permit application.
Estimated time from receipt of petition to City Council action: 45-60 days