How to Petition the City for Zoning Reclassification
All land within the City of Joliet is classified within one of the several zoning districts established by theJoliet Zoning Ordinance. Each zoning district has specific regulations which govern the use and development of land within the district. When a property owner desires to change the zoning of a property in order to develop with a different use than the current zoning allows, the following steps must be followed:
- Applicant checks requirements of Zoning Ordinance with Planning Division.
- Applicant prepares and files petition, complete with legal description, signature of owners, names and addresses of all owners within 300 feet, and filing fee, at least 27 days before the Plan Commission meeting. If large area is being rezoned, or multiple zonings are being requested, a plat of zoning may be required. Download Petition [PDF]
- Staff reviews application at Community Design Review Board meeting.
- Plan Commission holds a public hearing and makes a recommendation to the City Council. Applicant must appear at hearing.
- City Council acts upon recommendation of Plan Commission.
- City records ordinance approving zoning reclassification.
Estimated time from receipt of petition to City Council action: 45-60 days.
Zoning Ordinance [PDF]