COVID-19 Update and the City of Joliet - For more info visit: Coronavirus Resources/ Actualizacion de COVID-19 y La Ciudad de Joliet - Para más información visite: Coronavirus Resources

Real Estate Transfer

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Customer Service - Real Estate Transfer Tax 
Municipal Building, 1st Floor
150 W. Jefferson St.
Joliet, IL 60432
Phone: (815) 724-3902
Fax: (815) 724-3989
Hours 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday


The City of Joliet issues transfer tax stamps for real estate purchases and exempt stamps for owners making deed changes. There is a charge for purchase of a real estate transfer stamp, but no charge for exempt stamps. Both transactions only apply to incorporated properties within Joliet.

You may click on the following  interactive City of Joliet Council Districting Map to determine if a property falls within Joliet Incorporated City limits, and would require City of Joliet real estate transfer stamps:

City of Joliet Address Verification Map

Addresses may also be verified by checking with the Will County Supervisor of Assessments.

For further address verification or real estate transfer stamp/tax questions please contact the Customer Service - Real Estate Transfer Stamps Department at (815) 724-3902. 


Transfer Stamp Purchases

Sellers of residential or commercial properties in Joliet located within city limits are responsible for purchasing the tax stamp. The cost is $3.00 per $1,000 of purchase price.

Transfer Stamp Paperwork (Please see instructions for more information)

Completed water/lien letter [PDF] – must be received at least four (4) business day prior to closing. Any forms received less than four days may not be processed before closing date.

The following paperwork MUST be included to obtain stamps:

Exempt Stamps

An exempt stamp is required on all properties in Joliet within city limits when there is a deed change on owned property. Some examples include marriage and adding another name, name change, putting in or removing from a Trust, refinancing or divorce/removal of a name.

To obtain an exempt stamp, the deed must be completed (signed and notarized) A stamp can only be obtained on an original deed. We will not accept a copy for an exempt transaction. In addition, the deed should also included an exempt paragraph stating why it is exempt (click here for exempt language [PDF]). If exempt paragraph is not included on the deed, the City of Joliet Exemption Form [PDF] needs to be completed.

Please note that this office cannot in any way provide you with legal assistance or advice.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer