IMPORTANT INFORMATION: The City of Joliet and the Joliet Police Department does not endorse RING or any specific camera or security system. The Neighbors App by Ring is just another tool used by the Joliet Police Department to communicate with the citizens of Joliet about crime and safety information.
- Ring launched the Neighbors App in May of 2018 as a free way for community members and local law enforcement to share real-time local crime and safety information.
- The Joliet Police Department joined the Neighbors App in April of 2019.
- The Joliet Police CANNOT access or view live camera footage from anyone within the Neighbors App.
- The Joliet Police CANNOT view any footage without the user giving access through the software.
- The user can determine which videos and which parts of the video can be sent to the Joliet Police. They can also choose not to share any videos with the Joliet Police. It is completely their choice.
- The Joliet Police DOES NOT monitor the app 24/7. If a crime is happening CALL 911!
- YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PURCHASE A RING DEVICE TO BE APART OF THE NEIGHBORS APP. You can purchase any camera system or have no camera system at all.
- All user comments and posts are Anonymous and cannot be tracked by the Joliet Police.
NEW WAY TO DO AN OLD THING...
- The Joliet Police (and police in general) have always checked areas where a crime has happened for the presence of video cameras on residences and businesses to obtain possible video of evidentiary value.
- The Neighbors App has just brought this process into the 21st Century by contacting people digitally rather than having to physically searching and knocking on doors freeing up valuable time for investigators to focus on other aspects of cases.
- All tips shared via Neighbors are anonymous unless residents choose to identify themselves, as anonymous tips are an important tactic already used to solve crimes (ie. CrimeStoppers)