COVID-19 Update and the City of Joliet - For more info visit: Coronavirus Resources/ Actualizacion de COVID-19 y La Ciudad de Joliet - Para más información visite: Coronavirus Resources

Contact Us

Emergency: 9-1-1

(815) 724-3100

(815) 726-2491

Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


When is my court date?  Your court date can be found on the citation or bond sheet. Court dates may also posted online from the Will County Circuit Clerk and the Kendall County Circuit Clerk.

How do I drop charges against someone?  Once Joliet Police seek criminal charges on your behalf, we are unable to drop those charges. You must contact the State’s Attorney’s Office either in Will County or Kendall County depending on where the incident took place. 

Where do I get an Order of Protection?  You must file for an Order of Protection (OOP) in the county where you reside. Be sure to bring any history of documentation or police reports regarding past incidents of domestic violence or harassment. Will County OOP information can be found HERE. Kendall County OOP information can be found HERE.

Where can I pay my parking or compliance/ordinance citation?  You can pay your parking or compliance/ordinance citations in person, on the phone, or online. For more information about how to pay a non-traffic citation, please click HERE.

How do I get my stolen/recovered property returned?  You need a letter from the State’s Attorney’s Office, or a court order, stating that the property may be returned to you. 



How do I get a copy of my police report?  You may request a copy of a police report through JPD by completing a FOIA Request via letter, fax, email, or in-person at either JPD Station.

I filed a report, now what?  Please allow one week for a Detective assigned to your case to contact you. Note that not all cases require or warrant follow-up by the Investigations Division. If you have additional follow-up information, you can always add information to the report by calling 815-724-3100.


How do I get a copy of my crash report?  To obtain to a copy of a crash report, please visit and follow the instructions.

How can my insurance company get a copy of my crash report?  Insurance companies can request copies of crash reports from as well. 

I filed a hit & run crash report, what should I do now?  The Joliet Police Traffic Unit is responsible for conducting hit-and-run investigations; please click HERE for more information. 


How long does my child need to be in a car seat? According to the Illinois Child Protection Act, any child under 8 years of age must be properly secured in an appropriate child restraint system. For more information about child passenger safety, please click HERE.

When are the JPD car seat checks and installations, and where are they held?  There is no set schedule of car seat checks and installations. However, JPD normally holds these events in the warmer months as time allows. In the colder months, appointments with JPD certified car seat technicians can be made to accommodate you. More information about car seat checks and installations, please click HERE.


My vehicle was towed. How do I get it released?  Please click HERE for information about releasing a vehicle that was towed or impounded by Joliet Police.

Somebody came to my door soliciting a product/service. Can they do this?  City ordinance Chapter 22 requires that door-to-door salespeople have a solicitor’s permit, and have the permit on them at all times while going door-to-door. Solicitors are required to show the permit to you upon request. The permit should contain their name, company they work for, and an expiration date.  If you have any doubts or the person does not have a permit, you can contact JPD at (815) 726-2491 to have an Officer dispatched to verify the person is in compliance. The entire ordinance regarding solicitors can be found HERE. A 'Solicitors Prohibited' sign can be found HERE.

I don't want to give my name, but have information about a crime. What can I do to help?  You can submit anonymous crime tips to Will County CrimeStoppers. For more information, please click HERE.

I'm the victim of identity theft. What do I do?  Contact your bank immediately and collect as much information as possible (transaction types, suspect description, account information, etc), and contact your credit/debit card companies. Once you have that information, you can file a police report. When filing a police report, please have any printouts or paperwork readily available. When a Detective is assigned to your case, they will contact you.

What is curfew in Joliet?  Per city ordinance 21-18, curfew for juveniles aged 16 & 17 is between 11:00pm and 6:00am. Curfew for juveniles 15 and under is between 10:00pm and 6:00am. The full ordinance, along with exceptions, can be found HERE.

How do I get fingerprinted for my job or to review my criminal history?  The Joliet Police Evidence Unit is responsible for conducting fingerprinting services; please click HERE for more information. 

How old does a child need to be to be left home alone or in a vehicle?  Federal and Illinois law leaves parents and guardians free to care for their children as they see fit. However, criminal and child welfare laws permit law enforcement and the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services to intervene appropriately. While there are many different scenarios, here are the most common:

  • Unattended child in a vehicle: City ordinance 19-4 states a person over the age of 16 cannot leave a child aged 13 or younger in a vehicle unattended or unaccompanied. State law 720 ILCS 5/12C-5 states a child aged 6 or younger is unattended if that child is left in a motor vehicle for more than 10 minutes.
  • Unattended child in a residence: Illinois law 720 ILCS 5/12C-10 states that a person commits child abandonment when they, without regard for the mental or physical health, safety, or welfare of that child, knowingly leaves a child 13 or younger without supervision by a responsible person over the age of 14 for a period of 24 hours or more.
    • This criminal law of child abandonment is similar to state child welfare laws that define child neglect. Many of the factors from the Illinois Criminal Code are taken into consideration when deciding whether a child is really neglected, abandoned, an or unattended.