Traffic Unit: 815-724-3010
The Joliet Police Department Traffic Unit is a separate support unit to Patrol, and has many traffic safety related duties and responsibilities. Traffic Unit Officers conduct typical traffic safety duties in an effort to reduce the frequency and severity of traffic issues throughout Joliet.
The Traffic Unit consists of a Lieutenant, Sergeant, Traffic Officers, and civilian members. Traffic Unit responsibilities and capabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Traffic Crash Investigation
- Traffic Crash Reconstruction
- Commercial Truck/Vehicle Enforcement (Truck Enforcement Officers)
- Hit & Run Investigation
- Special Event Traffic Control
- Speed Enforcement
- DUI Enforcement
- Traffic Control Device Enforcement (Traffic Lights & Stop Signs)
- School Bus Stop-arm Violation Enforcement
- I.D.O.T. Traffic Safety Enforcement Grant Administration
- Seat-Belt Enforcement
- Child Safety Seat Enforcement
- Parking Enforcement (Parking Enforcement Officers)
- Abandoned Vehicle Program
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) verification.
- School Crossing Guard Program (Civilian Crossing Guards)
Crash Reports - The Traffic Unit does not handle crash report records. To obtain to a copy of a crash report, please visit https://www.buycrash.com/ and follow the instructions.
Towed & Impounded Vehicles - The Traffic Unit does not release towed or impounded vehicles. Please click HERE for vehicle release information.
Truck & Over-Size Load Permits - The Traffic Unit does not issue truck and over-size load permits. Please click HERE for those items.
Hit & Run Crash Investigation - Any investigation into a hit & run crash will take a minimum of two weeks, and can only be started when there is sufficient information to follow-up on (license plate numbers, witnesses, etc.). If further information is needed, or once the investigation has been closed, the investigating Traffic Officer will contact you.
Speed Radar-Enforcement Trailers - The Joliet Police Traffic Unit utilizes mobile speed radar-enforcement trailers throughout the city upon request. The purpose of the trailers are for data collection, not to issue speeding citations, and help identify problem areas and if additional enforcement is needed by Officers.
Requests for speed-radar enforcement trailer requests can be made through Traffic@joliet.gov. Requests must have the following information:
- Contact Email
- Contact Phone Number
- Address & Direction for trailer placement.
Traffic Complaints - To complete an online traffic complaint, please click HERE.