Rethink water by replacing older model toilets with Watersense certified toilets to conserve water. The City of Joliet is offering a low flow toilet rebate program to qualified water customers.
What is a low flow toilet?
High efficiency toilets are the latest generation of toilets. WaterSense certified toilets use 1.28 gallons per flush which is 20% less than the current federal standard of 1.6 gallons and significantly less than older model toilets which can use up to 6 gallons per flush. WaterSense labeled products are backed by independent, third–party certification and meet EPA’s specifications for water efficiency and performance. These products can be found at local hardware stores as well as home improvement stores like Home Depot, Menards and Lowes.
Why should I replace my toilet?
Replacing 3.5 gallon toilets with WaterSense labeled toilets can save a household 12,000 gallons of water each year. An average family of four uses 881 gallons of water per week just by flushing the toilet. Saving water not only saves homeowners money, it decreases demands on the City’s groundwater source which is being depleted.
- A $100 rebate will be offered to water customers who replace a high volume toilet (>1.6 gallon/flush) with a high efficiency toilet (1.28 gallon/flush).
- Only toilets that are listed on the EPA’s WaterSense model list are eligible for rebate.A list of eligible toilets can be found at the USEPA website https://www.epa.gov/watersense/product-search. Look for the WaterSense label.
- Rebates are limited to three toilets per water customer account.Rebates are available on a first come, first served basis until funds are exhausted.
- The rebate amount will not exceed the purchase price of the new toilet.
- The toilet being replaced must exceed 1.6 gallons or more per flush.
- The property where the toilet is installed must be a water customer of the City of Joliet Utilities Department with an active account.Customers with past due accounts will not be eligible until the account is paid in full.
- New construction is not eligible.
- Houses built in 1994 or after are not eligible.
- Trash only and sewer only customers are not eligible.
- Applicant must be the owner of the property listed on the rebate application.
- Old toilets cannot be reused.
How to apply
- Contact the Department of Public Utilities at 815-724-4220 to schedule an inspection to confirm eligibility.The inspections will be completed by the City’s licensed plumbers.Inspection appointments are available Monday – Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- Rebate applications will be mailed to customers who are confirmed to be eligible for the program.
- Complete toilet replacement.
- Contact the Department of Public Utilities to schedule a post replacement inspection to confirm installation of a WaterSense toilet.
- Mail the rebate application to the City of Joliet with an original or copy of the dated sales receipt (dated on or after March 15, 2019) listing the make and model numbers.
- Rebate checks will not be mailed until the post installation inspection is completed.