City of Joliet Rain Barrel Subsidy Program: A low tech way to conserve water and save money.
ReThink Water by installing a rain barrel to conserve water. The City of Joliet, in conjunction with the Conservation Foundation and Upcycle Products, is offering a rain barrel subsidy program to qualified water customers.
What is a rain barrel?
A rain barrel is a system that collects and stores rainwater from a homeowner’s roof that would otherwise be lost to runoff and diverted to storm drains and streams. Usually a rain barrel is composed of a 55 gallon drum, a vinyl hose, PVC couplings, and a screen grate to keep debris and insects out. A rain barrel can be installed under any residential gutter down spout. The barrels provided by Upcycle Products are Food Quality High Density Poly Ethylene Barrels that were previously used to ship pickled food overseas. They are available in a variety of colors including black, grey, green, terra cotta and blue.
Why install a rain barrel?
Lawn and garden watering make up nearly 40% of total household water use during the summer. A rain barrel collects water and stores it for when it is needed to water plants, wash cars or any other non-potable water use. A rain barrel will save most homeowners about 1,300 gallons of water during the peak summer months. Saving water not only helps protect the environment by reducing storm water run-off, it saves homeowners money and decreases demands on the City’s groundwater source which is being depleted.
How can rainwater be used?
Consider these ideas for your mineral-rich, chlorine-free rainwater:
- Attach regular or soaker hoses to the bottom spigot and top overflow valve and direct to landscaped areas nearby.
- Fill a bucket of watering can to hand-water plants in your garden and indoor plants.
- Use the rainwater to wash cars and bicycles
- The City will provide a $30 subsidy per rain barrel.The cost of the subsidized rain barrel is $35 plus tax.This includes the cost of delivery.
- Only current Joliet water customers are eligible for the program.Customers with past due accounts will not be eligible until the account is paid in full.
- Each household is eligible for one subsidized rain barrel.Additional rain barrels can be purchased for full price ($65 plus tax).
- A total of 150 rain barrel subsidies will be available annually.The subsidized rain barrels will be distributed on a first come, first served basis.
- The rain barrel kit comes completely assembled with installation instructions, hardware, spigots, and heavy duty mesh screen to keep out mosquitoes and debris.Installation is not included.
How to order
Orders can be placed on the Upcycle Products’ website: http://upcycle-products.com/jolietil.html. Electronic payment can be made using PayPal on the website. To pay by check, use the mail-in order form which can be found on the Upcycle Products website. The rain barrels will be delivered within 5-7 business days upon confirmation of customer eligibility.