COVID-19 Update and the City of Joliet - For more info visit: Coronavirus Resources/ Actualizacion de COVID-19 y La Ciudad de Joliet - Para más información visite: Coronavirus Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

City Parkway Trees

What is a parkway? How do I know if a dead/dying tree is located within the City parkway?

A City parkway is typically defined as the grassy easement area found between the sidewalk and the curb line of the street.   In some instances, streets may not have sidewalks.  In these cases, a City Foreman or Arborist would need to physically go to the property to determine if the tree falls within the easement.   The City of Joliet does not remove trees on private property or trees located within alleyways.  These areas are all considered private property, and it is up to the individual residents to maintain.   Before removing any trees and before digging, residents should contact J.U.L.I.E. at 811 or visit  for more information.  If trees require trimming and/or removal and they are located near utility poles or power lines residents should contact ComEd at (800) 334-7661 or visit for more information.

I have a dead/dying tree in the City parkway. Is the resident responsible for removing it?

No, the tree is considered City property.  It is the City’s responsibility to remove dead/dying trees within the City parkway.  If the resident wants to remove and replant their own City parkway tree(s) they may by obtaining a permit to “remove and replant” through the City of Joliet’s Forestry Department.   The City does not reimburse any of the expenses associated with the resident’s desire to remove and replant City parkway trees.  The necessary forms can be found on the City of Joliet website.

How do I know if a City parkway tree has been infected with Emerald Ash Borer (EAB)?

Typical signs and symptoms of Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) include bark splitting, serpentine galleries,        D-shaped exit holes in the trunk, and increased woodpecker activity in and around the area.  Upper branches of the trees will show bare wood and insect holes.  For other identification features, visit

Is the City treating any Emerald Ash Borer trees?  If not, can residents treat infected City parkway trees?

The City is not treating any of the Emerald Ash Borer Trees.  Residents can treat their own at their expense and by obtaining the proper permit.  Permits to treat Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) can be found on the City of Joliet website.

PLEASE NOTE:   Annual treatment is necessary for most products.   It is the residents’ responsibility to update the City of Joliet’s Forestry Department with treatment documentation including current receipts and dates of treatment.   Tree(s) must be tagged for non-removal by the City’s Forestry Department before any treatment begins.

How do I know if a City parkway tree has been marked for removal?

City crews will mark infected trees by painting a number on the tree; this indicates to residents the tree has been placed on the City Forestry Department’s list for removal.  Then number indicates the circumference of the tree; the color of paint used for the numbering is insignificant.  Once marked, even if the paint has worn off over time, the City parkway tree has been placed on the list for removal. Residents should call the Forestry Department at (815) 724-4046 or the City Hall Information Desk at (815) 724-4000 to notify the City of any dead/dying trees within the parkway that have not been marked, or are in need of removal.

The City parkway tree has already been marked.  When can residents expect to see it removed?

Once the City parkway tree has been marked with a number, the actual removal of the tree may not occur for the next five to seven years.  This lengthy amount of time is due to the very large number of trees infected.  For updated information, check the City’s quarterly newsletter for the streets and subdivisions scheduled for removal within that calendar year.  The City of Joliet thanks residents in advance for their patience.

The City came out and removed the parkway tree, but left the stump.  When can I expect to see the tree stump removed?

City Parkway tree stumps are scheduled to be ground out approximately one month after the tree has been removed, weather permitting.  Again, due to the extremely large number of trees infected, the City asks that residents be patient.    

The City ground out my tree stump, but left woodchips in the hole.  Are they coming back to clean this up?

No.  The City crew will leave the ground up chips as “fill” for the hole from the tree stump.  They do not come back and fill the hole with dirt, seed or sod; as this is the resident’s responsibility.

My tree stump has been ground out.  When can I expect a parkway tree replacement(s)?

Once a City parkway tree has been removed and the resident decides they want a City parkway tree replacement in its place, residents must fill out and return a “Requesting a New Tree to Be Replanted” form in order to get on the City list to be eligible for a replant.  This form can be found on the City of Joliet website

My tree stump has been ground out, but I don’t want to wait for the City to replant a tree.  May I replant my own parkway tree at my expense?

If residents choose to plant their own parkway tree, they must obtain a permit from the City Arborist by filling out the necessary permit forms, “Parkway Tree Application” and select a replacement tree from the approved City Parkway Tree List on the City of Joliet website

All the residents on my street received a City parkway tree replacement but me. Why?

Not all residents will receive a City parkway tree replacement due to property space restrictions and/or if the new tree could cause a future visibility obstruction to adjacent; intersections, street signs, utility lines/poles, mailboxes, fire hydrants, or will interfere with other plant material, or corner lots, etc.  Additionally, City parkway tree replants cannot be planted in the same location of the removed tree, due to the root system of the old tree.  Adequate space is needed within the parkway to support the new replant.  This decision is determined by the City Arborist.      

PLEASE NOTE:  Residents must submit a “Requesting a New Tree to Be Planted” form from the City website in order to get on the City’s parkway tree replant list to be eligible for a replant.   This form and other Forestry Department information can be found on the City website.

The City planted a new tree in the parkway.  Who is responsible for watering it and how often should it be watered?

Residents are required to water their newly planted City Parkway tree(s) for a minimum of (5) five minutes every other day.  Trees that have died due to non-watering will not be replaced by the City.

If I received the proper permit to remove my own City parkway tree(s), may I request the City to do a City parkway tree replant?

Residents can request the City to come back and plant a parkway tree after they have acquired the proper permit to remove the tree.   Once the resident has removed the tree(s), they should fill out a “Requesting a New Tree to Be Replanted” form.  The necessary forms can be found on the City of Joliet website.

Does the City offer any assistant programs to help residents remove dead trees that are located on their own private property?

The City does not remove any tree(s) that fall within residential private property lines and is not aware of any programs offering assistance.  Residents should contact a licensed arborist and are strongly encouraged to use companies that are licensed and bonded.  When cutting up private tree debris remember to follow Waste Management’s Guidelines for proper tree disposal (See below).   Additional information about Waste Management’s Garbage, Recycling and Yard Waste policies and procedures can be found on the City website

Yard Waste: Yard waste shall be collected weekly from April 1, through the first week of December, if you have further yard waste questions please contact the City Hall Information Desk at (815) 724-4000. Yard waste materials consist of grass and shrubbery cuttings, leaves, tree limbs, and other materials accumulated as the result of care of lawns, shrubbery, vines, and trees. Yard waste should be placed at the curb or alley at the same time as garbage and recycling (7:00 a.m.).  Yard waste must be placed in either 30 gallon kraft paper bags or a rigid container no greater than 32-gallons

Non-standard containers such as drums, baskets, etc. will not be collected. YOUR DESIGNATED YARD WASTE CONTAINERS MUST BE CLEARLY MARKED SO THAT IT IS VISIBLE FROM THE STREET. ONLY YARD WASTE MAY BE PLACED IN A CART OR CONTAINER THAT HAS BEEN DESIGNATED FOR YARD WASTE.  FREE Yard Waste labels are available at the following locations: City Hall (150 W. Jefferson Street) & Joliet Jewel Foods Stores (1401 W. Jefferson St., 1537 N. Larkin Avenue & 2480 IL. Rt. 59).

Brush, tree limbs, and branches must be bound in bundles not exceeding 4 feet and weighing no more than 50 pounds. No single piece within each bundle should exceed three inches in diameter. Unbundled brush will not be collected.  Sod, whole trees, stumps, limbs greater than (4) four inches in diameter and dirt are not part of your weekly yard waste program.  Resident should call Will County’s Land Use Division to inquire where these types of items can be taken for disposal at (815) 727-8834.