Thematic: Bungalow, Colonial Revival, Vernacular, Catalog House

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Concept of a Thematic District | Bungalow — Description | Bungalow — Architectural Overview |
Catalog — Description | Colonial Revival — Description | Colonial Revival — Architectural Overview


Colonial Revival - Architectural Overview

Image of The Walter Pitcher House

608 Western Avenue: The Walter Pitcher House is a north-facing two-and-a-half story Colonial Revival style structure built in 1914 with a limestone foundation. The structure has an end gable roof with central chimneys rising up each end. The façade has a central single door entry with sidelights and a wooden fan motif over the door. The entry is surrounded by a small Classical porch supported on Ionic columns. The entry is flanked on either side by a pair of evenly placed six-over-six double-hung sash windows. The second level matches the ground floor with a central, door-sized, six-over-nine double-hung sash window bracketed by two-over-three sidelights, opening out onto the top of the porch below. This window is flanked on either side by a pair of evenly placed six-over-six double-hung sash windows slightly smaller than those immediately below. The structure is topped by an end-gable multi-colored slate roof, dominated by three evenly placed front gable dormers. Each dormer has a four-over-eight double-hung sash window topped with a multi-paned, curved-muntin semicircular fixed window. Half fan light windows flank the chimneys in the end gables. A four-car garage is wood sided and faces the alley at the rear of the property. This property is already included in the Upper Bluff Local Historic District, and it is listed as a landmark in the Joliet Register of Historic Places.


Image of The Henry J. Sawyer House

610 Western Avenue: The Henry J. Sawyer House is a north facing two-and-a-half story Colonial Revival brick structure built in 1910. The house has a central entry door surrounded by multi-paned transom and sidelights. The door is sheltered by an Arts and Crafts porch supported on Doric columns. The entry is flanked by trios of double-hung sash windows. The second story has a pair of casement windows at the center, flanked by paired nine-over-one double-hung sash windows. All windows have shutters. The structure has an end gable slate roof with two evenly placed end gable dormers with paired twelve-over-one double-hung sash windows. A two-story sunroom is located on the east side of the house, with multi-paned casement windows and two eight-light patio doors with multi-paned transoms. The second floor is wood-sided with a pair of eight-over-one double-hung sash windows. The two-car garage is wood sided and faces the alley at the rear of the property. This property is already included in the Upper Bluff Local Historic District.


Image of the Charles J. Shaw House

1000 Black Road: Built in 1924, the Charles J. Shaw House is a north-facing, two-story, single-family residence at the southwest corner of Black Road and Cowles Avenue. Its exterior is brick on the first floor and stucco on the second. The roof ridge runs side to side, i.e. east to west. The end gables are clad in brick. Full-length shed-roof dormers face both the front and the rear of the house, making the second floor roughly the same area as the first floor. The dormers are clad in stucco. Tapered brick chimneys are centered on either side of the house and pierce the roof at the ridge. Quarter-circle vents bracket both chimneys at the attic.

The main entrance is centered on the front façade and is sheltered by a small porch covered by a front-gabled pediment supported on two Tuscan columns. The porch rises five steps above the front walk and is constructed of brick and concrete. The front door has a full-length nine-pane window, with the large center pane framed by eight smaller panes. A trio of double-hung sash windows with nine-pane upper sashes is located on either side of the front façade. The second floor façade has a small double-hung sash in the center, and a pair of larger double-hung sashes on either side, all with nine-pane upper sashes.

The east, or left, side has an enclosed brick sunroom with six wood-frame, double-pane casement windows on the north (front) face, eight double-pane casements on the east façade, and an entry door bracketed by a pair of double-pane casements on the south façade. The sunroom has a flat roof above which a pair of double-hung sash windows bracket the chimney on the second floor.

The rear, or south, façade has, on the first floor, a pair of double-hung sash windows with nine-pane upper sashes on the east end. Moving west, there are: an entry door, a pair of smaller double-hung sash windows, and a single double-hung sash window at the west end. The second floor has windows that match those on the front façade: a smaller, single, double-hung sash window in the center, bracketed by a pair of larger double-hung sash windows on either side. At the basement level, a pair of windows is located east of the entry door, and three single windows are evenly spaced across the western portion of the façade.

The west façade has a pair of double-hung sash windows bracketing the chimney on the first floor, a single double-hung sash window on either side of the chimney on the second floor, and quarter-circle vents bracketing the chimney at the attic level.

All windows have wood-frame storm windows that match the size of the main sash and appear to be original.
The north-facing garage behind the house is clad in the same brick as the house. It has a hipped roof and a two-car overhead door on the north façade. A single, fixed, nine-pane window is centered on both the east and south façades. A similar nine-pane window is centered on the west façade, with a service door on the north half. An asphalt driveway enters the property off Cowles Avenue.