Dr. Higgins House

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Dr. Higgins House — 306 North Raynor Avenue

Large Image of Dr. Higgins House

The Dr. Higgins House is a 2-story stucco Arts & Crafts/Four Square style structure built in 1914. It was landmarked in 1993 for both historical significance and architectural style. Topped with a hipped roof and wide eaves, the house has a large enclosed front porch, and leaded glass and extensive and ornate interior woodwork designed in the style of Frank Lloyd Wright. Its original slate roof and copper gutters are intact, as are gas wall sconces (converted to electricity in 1918), mirrors, and crystal door knobs. The interior wainscoating is embossed leather. The basement lavatory contains an original wood and copper tank and toilet. In 1988, a hand-carved stone fireplace, originally from the home of famed Chicago architect Elihu Root, was installed in the living room.

The original owner was Dr. Higgins, a respected physician and the health commissioner of the City of Joliet from approximately 1915 to 1938.