George & Juanita Palmer House — 5 North Nicholson Street
The George and Juanita Palmer House is a Colonial style, 2½-story, red brick residence built on a cement foundation in 1936. Nominated for both architectural and historical significance, the residence was designed for Mr. Palmer by architects Paul G. O'Neal and George W. Bode at a time when Mr. Palmer served as plant engineer for the Gerlach Barklow Company in Joliet, one of the largest calendar printing companies in the United States. The structure is dominated by a steeply-pitched, end-gable roof with a multi-paned lunette window centered in the gable. An original wood panel entry door is inset at the north end of the front elevation. Multi-pane double-hung windows in the structure are original. The structure is a Local Landmark.