Howard M. Snapp House — 321 Richards Street
The Howard M. Snapp house is a 2½-story Colonial Revival/Neo-Classical style, wood clapboard structure built in 1898 on a Joliet limestone foundation. The structure has a flat-topped, hip roof with dormers on all four sides and an open front and side porch supported on paired columns with Ionic capitals. Elaborate dentil trim decorates the fascia of the porch roof and the eaves of the structure has decorative corbels at one foot intervals. Each corner of the house is framed by vertical decorative trim boards which are topped with trim patterned after Ionic capitals. A matching 2½-story coach house is located to the rear of the property.
The structure was built for Howard M. Snapp, a United States Congressman elected in 1903 and again in 1911. Mr. Snapp was the son of Will County pioneer Honorable Henry Snapp, who was also active in politics, serving as a Senator and member of Congress. The structure is a Local Landmark.