J.W. Downey House — 509 Buell Avenue
The J.W. Downey House is a 2½-story, wood clapboard and cut shingle Queen Anne style structure built in 1889 on a Joliet limestone foundation. The structure, built by noted Joliet architect Julian Barnes, retains its original open wrap front porch with decorative spindle work and 2-story, oblong tower decorated with stained glass. The structure is situated on a prominent, hilltop location which adds to the grandeur of the residence. The structure is a Local Landmark and is part of the Upper Bluff National Register District.