La Verne L. White House — 614 Western Avenue
The LaVerne L. White House is a 2½-story, wood clapboard NeoClassical/American Foursquare style structure, exhibiting Prairie influences, built in 1910 on a Joliet limestone foundation. The house is distinguished by a 1-story, open, full-width front porch, supported on Ionic columns set in groups of two or three. A single, ¾ oval original front door is located on the west side of the front façade. An elaborate, square, beveled glass window is located west of the front door. The structure is topped with a hip roof with a Prairie profile, accentuated by a central gable dormer with a Palladium window. An original garage is located at the rear of the structure.
Mr. White was the proprietor of a pool hall and tobacco shop on Jefferson Street. Subsequent owners of the home included Theodore Flint, owner of Flint Dairy and a Joliet City Councilman, and Henry Trackman, owner of Trackman Auto Supply and later, general manager of the Rialto Square buildings. The structure is a Local and Thematic District Landmark and is part of the Upper Bluff Local and National Register Districts.