William Moore House — 301 Nicholson Street
The William Moore House is a 2½-story, wood clapboard, Italianate/Neoclassical style structure built in 1872 on a Joliet limestone foundation. The front façade is accentuated by a 1-story, Neoclassical corner wrap open porch which is a circa 1910 addition to the structure. The structure is topped with a hip roof (also a circa 1910 addition). The structure retains its Italianate heavy, double-bracketed cornice and original window configurations with protruding bays and carved wood insets. The structure is a Local Landmark and is part of the Upper Bluff National Register District.
The home was built for William Moore, owner of the Moore Stove Factory, a major manufacturer of cast iron and coal burning stoves in Joliet. Mr. Moore moved his stove company to Joliet from Neenah, Wisconsin in 1871. The Moore ornamental coal stove was a familiar fixture in front parlors and living rooms in the late 1800’s in Joliet.